We are a team of Teachers of Deaf (ToDs), Educational Audiologist, Audiology Technician, Sign Language Communication Advisors (SLCAs) and Specialist Teaching Assistants (STAs) who offer advice and support to ensure that children with a hearing loss achieve their potential.
What do we offer
- Advice and support to families
- Opportunities to attend our Early Years’ group Acorns with opportunities for parents/carers and children to meet, specifically adapted to their needs (more information coming soon)
- Home visits to support families promoting development of their child including the use of Success from the Start for babies and young children with a hearing loss if appropriate
- Advice and / or transition support into EY settings and across all key stages
- Assessment of need or of specific areas such as language development, processing skills and social skills,
- Monitoring the management of effective use of hearing aids/cochlear implants to maximise access to speech, contribute to the paediatric hearing assessment and hearing review clinics.
- Recommendations on appropriate assistive technology and resources, e.g. radio aids and soundfield systems under the guidance of our Educational Audiologist
- Visits and advice to educational settings from QToDs, at times these will be supported by STAs
- Family sign language curriculum delivered by Sign Language Communication advisors
- Bespoke training offered to settings as required
- Access to a range of other support including our toolkit with information and advice, helpline and other training offer such as online courses and audiology updates
- Direct teaching of specialist skills e.g. specific language skills, advocacy skills and understanding of hearing needs
- Collaborative work with a range of key partners, such as:
- The Children’s Hearing Centre
- West of England Hearing Implant Centre (WEHIP)
- Health Visitors
- Speech and language therapists
* More information coming soon.