The Sensory Support Service offer at the post 16 stage depends on the type of setting attended and whether pupils have an EHCP. Our main focus whilst working towards obtaining qualifications, would be to ensure YP will develop levels of independence that allow them to be prepared for life and work. Depending on the level of need of the student and the setting attended we may continue to provide educational support whilst developing social skills, organisational and study skills, IT skills and developing responsibility for their own learning.
If student with sensory impairment (hearing, vision or multi sensory) attend
- a mainstream Sixth Form, our input will continue
- a special school in the LAs covered by our service, our input will continue
- A Further Education College without an EHCP – we will not automatically be involved, we are likely to provide staff at the FE college with information (with consent) to support the transition process. The college can however contact us for input/training and we would charge the college
- A Further Education College with an EHCP – provision identified in the EHCP needs to be in place but this may be bought in from other services/organisations. Again our service would need to charge for our input. If provision has been agreed with the LA this is funded by the EHCP.
- Other arrangements / settings – we would always try to share information to ensure new placements succeed. Other input would need to be agreed with the LA and either funded by the LA or the provider depending on the arrangement in place with that provider.
Equipment in FE colleges – We offer some equipment (such as visualisers, braillers, etc) on loan which incurs a charge
Please contact us for further information – 0117 9038441/2/3